Tuesday, January 13, 2009

45 miles: Tuesday Afternoon in Hutto

Hooray for the Austin Endurance Cyclists Group. Today's ride was fun but boy was it tough. The wind would not leave us alone so at times some of the tiny hills we did encounter were just exhausting. It wasn't quite as cold as I thought it would be, I finished strong but I guarantee you that I will sleep well tonight. I am wiped out. It took us about 3 and a half hours to ride the 45 mile loop. That's pretty slow but as Patti put it, this is January in Round Rock and the wind blows strong over those plowed corn and cotton fields.

Along for the ride were fellow endurance cyclists, John, Todd, Cliff, Patti, Amy and Heidi. Todd the cycling machine led the pack until it was his time to leave us. I missed him terribly because I drafted nicely behind him while he was with us. After that we all took turns leading and taking a little shelter from the wind. These are all good people and I am lucky to be riding with them. Encouragement, support and friendly conversation is everything you need to get through this ride. Well, that and some GU, Clif Shots, Clif Bars and a few liters of water.

Ya know, there were parts of this ride when we didn't see a single car or person for miles. I really want to ride this route again this summer when it's warmer. Did I mention how chilly and windy it was?

There were some beautiful sights along this route. I saw cute little ponies, cows, donkeys, but the best sights were the Manville water tower, another stretch of smooth road and my truck when we returned to the Salt Lick restaurant.

I have got to sign off and get to bed now. I went to karate tonight and I should have stayed at home. My entire body is tired and I fear my brain is not producing a decent story here. So goodnight all and thanks for a fun afternoon. I enjoyed the brisket and the friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment